Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Finally moved in!!

Well... we've finally moved in. Let me give you a timeline of the major events leading up to the purchase of our first home:
  • November 27, 2012- Discovered that our furnace had gone out.  We'd just had it repaired a month prior. I was not pleased at all.
  • November 28, 2012 - After being unable to fall asleep and being extremely frustrated... I checked out what homes were for sale on Found one that appeared to be move in ready and was in our price range (!). Spent about an hour staring at the pictures trying to figure out the house's layout.
  • November 29, 2012 - Went to view the house with the realtor.  My mom came with. It was love at first sight!
  • December 3, 2012 - Took Karl, the kids, and my dad to view the house with the realtor.  
  • December 5, 2012 - Karl and I put in an offer.
  • December 7, 2012 - The seller's made a counter offer and we accepted!
  • December 11, 2012 - Home inspection. Found just minor issues.
  • December 20, 2012 - The bank sent an appraiser out.
  • January 7, 2013 - FINALLY heard back on the appraisal.Closing date set for January 16 (was supposed to be January 11)
  • January 15, 2013 - Got the utilities signed over into our name and got a P.O. box.
  • January 16, 2013 - Final walk through with the realtor in the morning and then we drove to the closing! We were done in about an hour and then we picked up the two youngest kiddos from Grandma and Grandpa and drove out to our new home! Grandma and Grandpa (Karl's parents) hadn't see the house yet.
  • January 16-18, 2013 - We moved a few things over to the house, a van load at a time.  We were short on boxes but my mom had given me maybe 10 plastic storage bins so we'd fill them, bring them to the new house, empty them, and then bring them back to be refilled.  Not ideal, but it did the job ok. I'm super cheap and didn't want to spend extra money I didn't have to. The fuel and time cost outweighed the cost of more bins or boxes I wouldn't use again.
  • January 18, 2013 - Had our first fuel oil delivery. Holy crap... $560 for 150 gallons... that filled one tank between 1/2 and 3/4 full... 5 days later it's already down to 1/2 full and we've been keeping the place at a balmy 60* even though it hasn't been above zero outside (F not C) in several days (-40 with windchill... school canceling kind of cold...) Had first worry about being able to afford to heat our new home in the winter! My grandma drove down (about a 4 hour trek) to help with the move and to keep the kiddos busy and outta the way.
  • January 19, 2013- Officially moving day.  Beaner had a basketball game about an hour away so my mom and grandma took both her and BooBoo to it in the morning.  They were excited to stop at Target to pick out stuff for their new room afterwards!  My dad and I went to go and pick up the UHaul.  I opted to just get the 6x12' covered trailer and we made two loads with it, plus filling my dad's truck (which was hauling it), our van, and Karl's dad's truck. Karl's brother Jason drove up for the weekend to help out. So. Very. Grateful!! We were pretty much done by 1:00 (I think). My dad and I left to return the UHaul and then we stopped and picked up Domino's and beer for the moving crew. The UHaul was about $40, pizza was $60, and booze was $45-50. I didn't factor in everyone's gas to the cost of moving but I consider that a successful, frugal, move! My mom and grandma return with Beaner and BooBoo and help get the kids' rooms unpacked and in order. I started to put up curtains so that we could stop living in a fishbowl (no curtains or blinds and we live in the middle of town EEK!).
  • January 20, 2013 - Had to go to Lowe's to pick up a few things. There are no clothing rods in the closets upstairs.  Poot and Squishy don't need one yet but Beaner and BooBoo needed one in theirs. Got that installed and got curtains up in their room so I don't have to worry about them changing in front of the windows (They are 11). Put curtains up in the dining room and put felt pads underneath our table and chairs to protect the shiny finish on the wood floors. We tried to get stuff to hook up our washer and dryer but realized we need an "expert's" help... aka Grandpa Chuck (Karl's dad). We couldn't find the dryer plug in and apparently the new GFI outlet for the washer wasn't working. While making toast we discovered a measuring spoon had fallen into the slot, melted, and was causing the spark when you tried to make toast. I removed it but in the process must have done something to the center heating element because now we only get toast on one side.  New toaster (might as well upgrade to a 4+ slot model) added to the shopping list.
  • January 21, 2013 - First day back to work since last Tuesday for me.  It was rough.  I have no idea where most of my clothes are and I'm still exhausted both from the move and the week of sleepless nights worrying about the closing.  I had a somewhat irrational fear that the bank would call and say sorry... we can't give you this loan after all. I got to leave at 2 though, so I put up the ginormous sheet of plastic on the big window in the living room.  There is a noticeable chill in that room. It helped a little.
  • January 22, 2013 - Spent some time cancelling some services at the old house and ordering service for the new house.  It took 15 minutes to cancel DirecTV and only a few minutes to cancel the internet service through a local company.  We are supposedly getting hooked up with cable and internet on Friday.
So there you have it!  Timeline of major events leading up to the purchase of our first home!! Hopefully will be getting some pictures up in one of the next few posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment