Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Run Recap and Unrelated Injury

Yesterday I was scheduled to run an easy 2 miles.  I was still sore, but I wasn't limping so I wore the Vibrams again hoping that the run would ease the soreness a bit.  As I was about to head out the door... I noticed that my Garmin was dead.  Grr.... I already had my shoes on so I used the RunMeter app on my phone instead... which I ended up having to carry because I couldn't find my arm pocket. (I'm sure I could have found it if I spent 5 minutes looking for it but I just wanted to get out the door).  It felt a little bit muggy but I just let my legs dictate the pace.  I also didn't have immediate access to my pace (the app requires unlocking the phone and then waiting a second for the screen to update.  Ain't nobody got time for that lol!  Anyway... It was a pretty good run.  Woke me up (had been in a daze since rolling outta bed like 6 hours prior) and moved some lactic acid or whatever causes DOMS outta my legs.  Yay!

So I ended up being a wee bit faster than an easy pace but that's alright.

The rest of the day was kinda quiet... until I went to take Scout out for a walk.  I was going to take him on a nice long one since I flaked on his morning walk.  Little bit of a backstory: Where we live, mining iron ore is a major industry. Not sure of the exact process but the end result is these little metal pellets that are round.  They are loaded into open top box cars and shipped off somewhere via train.  So... at almost every train crossing, you'll find these spilled pellets.  When we were little my cousin used to love to visit because he would fill up jars of pellets that he'd find and take them home for slingshot ammo.  Anyway... so we're about to cross over the railroad tracks into the other side of town when... BAM.... down I go... right onto my right knee.  I also scraped up my right elbow and wrist. The elbow and wrist don't bother me but holy man... my knee hurts sooooo bad.  Before I even got up off of the ground I was thinking, "oh I hope I can still run!" (my second thought was thank god I wasn't wearing any lululemon haha) Once I was up it took about a minute for me to decide that I could even walk back home.  So, we turned around... and wouldn't you know it... I damn near slipped again on those pellets. Grr... Hobbled home and then took stock of the damage.  I had two big goose eggs - one right below my knee cap and one just about an inch lower at the top of my shin.  I also had 4 little bloodied scrapes, I'm assuming I must have landed right on top of 4 pellets.  Iced my knee all night and this is what it looks like this morning:

(It's the lighting that's making my leg look so pasty I swear)  On the right I'm pointing to the two swollen goosey eggs.  They are still slightly raised but not as bad as last night.  I can put weight on it... but it hurts if I try to put weight on it and bend it at the same time so walking is a bit of a chore.  

Probably wont be getting to today's scheduled workout: Ballet Beautiful Classic.  I'll try to get in maybe some core work and some Swan Arms instead.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to run 3 miles.  We'll see how I feel in the morning.

Upcoming training schedule:
Thurs: 3 mi
Fri: 3 mi
Sat: 3 mi
Sun: 4 mi

I'm in the base building phase so it's all at easy pace.  My first speed session isn't until August 27.  I'm nervous/excited for that!  I've never done a structured interval workout (up until now I've pretty much been a one pace wonder... although my shorter runs I'd go as fast as I could).  I was programming the workout into the Garmin website so that my watch would just beep when I had to either speed up or slow down and including the warm up and cool down miles, my first speed workout (12x400 with 400m recovery jog) will end up being 8 miles!!!!!  On a Tuesday!!!!  Total Craziness....

No comments:

Post a Comment